- Icosavax Inc(NASDAQ: ICVX)priced an upsized $182 million IPO, which had initially penciled in a $100 million raise.
- The new entry on NASDAQ ended up offering just over 12.1 million shares at $15 apiece.
- Themajority of the funds
News from all over | Updated hourly
- The author focuses on the death of fiancée Jessica Pereira, the grief journey of Joshua Barbeau, and the role that Project December played in helping him through it.
- In telling the story, Jason shows both the power and fascination of current day innovation, and its fear and destructive potential.
- After the rendezvous and docking, ISS crew members went to work, checking for leaks at the interface point, opening the hatch, and integrating computers on the newly arrived Nauka module, also known as the Russian Multipurpose Laboratory.
- Nothing appears to be damaged, and NASA says the crew is safe, but things got really weird about three hours after Russia’s Nauka module reached the International Space Station at 9:29 a.m. EDT this morning.
- New research details the discovery of an extinct dog-like animal that lived in the Caucasus region of Europe some 1.7 million years ago.
- Bartolini-Lucenti, along with co-author Bienvenido Martinez-Navarro from the Universitat Rovira i Virgili in Spain, speculate that Canis (Xenocyon) lycaonoides could be an ancestor species to African wild dogs living today and that it originated in eastern Asia.
Alector Stock Falls After Flashing 12-Month Data From Mid-Stage Trial In Frontotemporal Dementia Patients
- Patients with one type of frontotemporal dementia decline because they're missing one copy of an immune-regulating gene called progranulin and subsequently have half the amount of the protein healthy adults have.
- In 9 patients, Alector showed that their antibody, AL001,
The "Fast Money Halftime Report" panel discussed Amazon.com (NASDAQ: AMZN) ahead of its earnings reportThursday.
Market Rebellion co-founderJon Najarian isn't expecting a move higher than $100 in either direction. After seeing how other big tech namesreacted following earnings, he sold calls against his existing long call options and stock in Amazon.
Short Hills Capital's Steve Weiss said he lookedRead more >Similar articles >
- Beijing’s attempts on Wednesday to reassure spooked global markets will do little to calm jitters as fear-driven volatility over Chinese tech shares looks set to define the rest of 2021.
- This is the warning from Nigel Green, chief executive and founder of deVere Group, one of the world’s largest independent financial advisory, asset management and fintech organisations.
- As the Wall Street Journal reports, Johansson’s lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles’ Superior Court today, alleges that Disney refused to re-negotiate part of her contract with Marvel Studios to accommodate the fact that Black Widow, due to theatrical restrictions brought about by covid-19, debuted simultaneously in theaters and as part of the streamer’s Disney+ “Premiere Access” program on July 9.
- Compounding the issues Johansson has with Disney’s conduct is that her suit further alleges that the company wouldn’t re-negotiate her deal after the studio finally decided to move Black Widow to a simultaneous theatrical and streaming release—a decision made after months of stalling in March this year .
If You Invested $1,000 In Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin And Other Cryptos One Year Ago, Here’s How Much You’d Have Now
The stock market has performed very well in the past year, and virtually anything investors have touched has turned to gold. In fact, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (NYSE: SPY) total return over that stretch has been 30.8%.
However, as well as stocks have performed in the past 12 months, cryptocurrency returns have left the S&P 500 in the dust.Read more >Similar articles >
- Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney over the simultaneous streaming release of Black Widow, which debuted the same day in theaters and on Disney Plus through its Premier Access service.
- The suit states that both Marvel and Johansson understood the contractual promise of a wide theatrical debut to mean the film “would initially be released exclusively in movie theatres, and that it would remain exclusively in movie theatres for a period of between approximately 90 and 120 days.”
Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC) shares are trading higher Thursday, up 2% to $38.88 at last check.
The company donated 10,000 Chromebooks for students to use in their homes. The Chromebooks will support students with their education and help their families by providing critical connectivity to educational tools.
Bank of America Daily Chart Analysis
- Shares were trading in an upward trending channel before the stock broke below the channel support and moved lower.
- The stock is trading below the 50-day moving average (green), but above the 200-day moving average (blue), indicating the stock is likely facing a period of
- Clarivate PLC(NYSE: CLVT)reported second-quarter revenuegrowth of 61.4% year-over-year to $447 million (up 5% on an organic basis), beating the consensus of $435.24 million.
- Revenues from Subscription increased 12.5% Y/Y to $243.6 million, driven by the acquisition of CPA Global, Re-occurring revenues were $113.7 million, and Transactional increased 48.7% Y/Y to $89.8 million.
- Adjusted EPS of $0.17 (down from $0.18 in 2Q20) was in line with the consensus
- We’re talking about the metaverse now because Zuckerberg intends to build it, to succeed where companies like Second Life failed.
- Not a metaverse, per se, but it is relatively immersive environment, one that has digital friends, activities, its own internal commerce system, and that lets me teleport from one experience to another.
- Since then, Veloso has assembled a team of nearly 60 experts — most of whom have PhDs — spanning computer science, machine learning, cryptography, mathematics, and electrical engineering.
- When Veloso went on leave from her post as the head of Carnegie Mellon University's machine learning department in 2018, she chose JPMorgan as her new office.
- In this regard, Jim Cramer said on CNBC : “If the stock breaks the print, I think that there are a lot of retail investors who don’t have more money to be able to buy.
- “The one thing I don’t know –and I think we’ll get a sense of this once the shares start trading– is that breakdown of retail investors versus institutional investors.
Both are trading above well-defined support levels. and both companies are scheduled to report earnings FridayRead more >Similar articles >
- All three devices support sub-6GHz 5G, offer 108-megapixel rear-facing cameras, and include 6.7-inch OLED screens with fast refresh rates.
- Priced at €699 (about $830), Edge 20 Pro comes with many features common to the premium midrange class, including a Gorilla Glass 5 front panel, a 144Hz screen refresh rate, and 12GB of RAM with its capable 800-series chipset.
- Tucker, the founder of Knoq, was sad to "give up control of a company [she] had poured five years of [her] heart, soul and energy into building," she told Protocol, but ultimately felt hopeful that selling it to digital media company Ad Practitioners, was the best financial outcome for her, her team and her investors.
- As part of the acquisition, Tucker and the rest of the Knoq team moved from Boston to Puerto Rico, where Ad Practitioners is headquartered.
- The exceptional team around AI-serial-entrepreneur Jonas Andrulis and co-founder Samuel Weinbach research, develop and operationalise a new generation of huge and powerful AI like GPT-3, DALL-E or MuZero to maintain European sovereignty for Artificial General Intelligence (AGI).
- On the negative side, however, we learned that all developers needed to build very similar integrations and software components such as language tuning (think of childish language versus business language), prompt optimization (how to ping the API and get what you actually want) or human-in-the-loop systems to actually power their applications.
- Android Police was first to note that Google quietly updated its inappropriate content policies in its Play Store to specifically forbid any apps meant to encourage “compensated sexual relationships.”
- While Ashley Madison is one kind of hub for folks to seek out these types of arrangements, there’s been an explosion of competitors in recent years with names like “SugarDaddyMeet,” “EstablishedMen,” and, naturally, “SeekingArrangements.”
- Proto Labs Inc(NYSE: PRLB)reported second-quartersales growth of 15.5% year-over-year to $123 million, beating the consensus estimate of $122.2 million. Hubs generated $8.9 million in revenue in Q2, growing at 45.6% Y/Y.
- Adjusted EPS of $0.39 (down from $0.59 in 2Q20) missed the
- As we’ve known for about a week, today was the day Panic’s charming/whacky/curious/all-of-the-above Playdate gaming device (and its crank!) went up for pre-order.
- After a brief blink of server instability and 502 errors, Panic’s checkout system came online… only for the plug-in system they tapped to handle international shipping to come crashing down.
- In the suit, Johansson says Black Widow was supposed to be released exclusively in theaters, per her deal with Marvel.
- Johansson's representatives tried to re-negotiate her deal after news emerged about the new Black Widow release strategy, the suit says, but Disney and Marvel were allegedly unresponsive.
Some retail traders have taken the ride of a lifetime through a number of epic short squeezes that have seen stocks such as AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc (NYSE: AMC) and GameStop Corporation (NYSE: GME) rise parabolically on a few different occasions this year.
What Happened: In two of the most legendary squeezes, GameStop skyrocketed 2,309% over 11 days in January, and between May 24 and June 2 AMC soared 496%. The short squeezes were attributed to the stocks’ underlying statistics: both GameStop and AMC had high levels of insider and institutional ownership or a high number of shares held short.
There was also speculation that a number of institutions wereillegally naked shorting the stocks.
GameStop and AMC’s statistics have recently improved and both stocks have become less volatile in trading.
In June, 22.85%, meaning 102.3 million, of AMC’s total 448.56 share float was held short. That number is now down to 15.95% or 79.75 million shares.
In April, GameStop hadRead more >Similar articles >
- The other big challenge in localizing the Ace Attorney series specifically is that our games use a scripting system to control things like when characters change animations, or when a sound effect plays.
- GamesBeat: Do you have to reference the scripts for past Ace Attorney games when localizing a new entry?
- The company has previously said that its super app will include a number of new features such as enhanced direct deposit, check cashing, budgeting tools, bill pay, cryptocurrency support, subscription management and buy now, pay later functionality.
- During the company's recent earnings call with investors, Schulman also revealed that messaging will be another feature available in PayPal's super app.
- McAllister describes Merqueo as a “pure-play online supermarket with a fully integrated grocery delivery service” that sources directly from large brands and local suppliers, bypassing intermediaries and “delivering directly from its dark store network.”
- Merqueo, which operates a full-stack, on-demand delivery service in Latin America, has landed $50 million in a Series C round of funding.
- Consolidated Communications Holdings Inc(NASDAQ: CNSL)reported a second-quarterFY21 revenue decline of 1.5% year-on-year to $320.4 million, beating the analyst consensus of $319.86 million.
- Revenue from Commercial and Carrier revenue declined 1.4% Y/Y to $143.8 million, Commercial and Carrier data and transport grew 1.4% Y/Y to $1.2 million, Consumer declined 2.3% Y/Y to $124.95 million, Voice services fell 5.9% Y/Y to $5.3 million, Video services decreased $2.4 million.
- Consumer broadband revenue increased 3.7% Y/Y to $2.4 million, Subsidies revenue declined 3.3% Y/Y
- As the company continues to try to attract remote workers, it’s introducing a speed test tool hosts can access within the Airbnb app.
- While Airbnb has for a long time allowed hosts to list how fast the WiFi connection is at their rentals, it’s not something you see detailed with every home, condo and apartment on the service.
- “3D Athlete Tracking … is a technology we have developed here at Intel that allows us to take standard video of athletes and extract information about their form and motion,” said Lee.
- The problem, Lee said, is that while motion capture suits are fine for certain scenarios, tracking elite-level athletes is not necessarily among them.
- The most significant impact will be the need for organizations to upgrade their web apps that require IE to operate properly on normal web browsers, and for integrations with third party companies that require IE to access their systems.
- Max de Lavenne: The retirement means that enterprises dependent on legacy, IE-compatible software need to start researching new software and platforms ASAP.
- Sony's support for generic third-party M.2 drives here is in contrast to Microsoft, which uses a proprietary expansion-card format for additional storage on the Xbox Series X/S.
- A 1TB expansion card on Xbox retails for $220, comparable to the $200 to $250 SSD makers currently charge for M.2 drives that meet Sony's PS5 standards .
- Sigma's next mirrorless camera lens is strongly rumored to be a new 150-600mm super-telephoto for sports and wildlife shooters – and now we have a good idea of its price, thanks to a new leak.
- The leaked pricing is for L-mount and E-mount versions of the new lens, which would be for Panasonic, Sigma and Sony mirrorless cameras.
- Silicom Ltd(NASDAQ: SILC)reported second-quarterFY21 revenue growth of 31% year-on-year to $30.3 million, beating the analyst consensus of $29 million.
- Non-GAAP EPS of $0.42 beat the analyst consensus of $0.34.
- The non-GAAP gross margin expanded 180 bps
- When Barbeau shared his experiences on a Reddit forum, one person said they had attempted to do the same thing with a deceased loved one, but noted that they were not able to get the same kind of interaction.
- So Barbeau created JESSICA COURTNEY PEREIRA and fed the A.I. old texts and social media posts of his deceased fiancee, along with a short bio.
- As part of its effort to provide its technologies and capabilities to other businesses, Walmart has also announced a new strategic partnership with Adobe to integrate its Marketplace, online and in-store fulfillment and pickup technologies with the software company's ecommerce platform Adobe Commerce.
- Retail giant Walmart has announced that it will begin offering its proprietary technologies and capabilities to SMBs and other firms to help them better serve their customers across both digital and physical storefronts.
- After being shown multiple times without a release date, Square Enix quietly announced a release date for Marvel’s Avengers War for Wakanda expansion.
- A Marvel’s Avengers War Table stream will take place on August 16, which will reveal more of what players can expect in the expansion.
- We’ve known for years that the idea behind Vivo —and its Lin-Manuel Miranda-created original soundtrack—laid dormant until Sony Pictures quietly picked up the project five years ago.
- Dreamworks animation originally hired Miranda to soundtrack the movie back in 2010, but for myriad reasons—including in part, Miranda’s ride into the musical stratosphere with the success of Hamilton, leading to the man seemingly never stopping for a second to breathe ever since —the project lay dormant for years, until Sony Pictures picked up the film in 2016 for a projected 2020 release.
- Now IT teams can process high-performance transactions alongside analytics queries that can run across large amounts of unstructured data on a document database, said Couchbase CTO Ravi Mayuram.
- IT teams can now add a table, referred to as a Collection, while transactions are running without having to add or modify the schema, referred to as Scope, without needing to take the database offline, Via what the company refers to as a dynamic data containment model it also becomes easier to migrate existing transaction processing applications to Couchbase 7.0.
- But it was well below the 8.4% expected by economists, and far less than their earlier forecasts that growth in this year's peak quarter would be 10% or higher.
- The U.S. economy is now larger than it was before the pandemic, but its growth rate may have peaked this year at a much slower pace than expected.
- MACOM Technology Solutions Holdings Inc(NASDAQ: MTSI)reported third-quarterFY21 revenue growth of 11.2% year-on-year to $152.6 million, beating the analyst consensus of $152.1 million.
- The adjusted gross margin expanded 480 bps to 60.3%, while the adjusted operating
- Numerous QAnon supporters have committed crimes or acts of violence including murder, and they provided key manpower during the deadly pro-Trump riots at the Capitol on Jan. 6.) The account was later deleted but has since been replaced by three accounts on messaging app Telegram the Daily Beast wrote have “racked up followers by pushing QAnon-like ramblings and providing a countdown clock for revelations that—shockingly—never materialized.”
- Ron Watkins, the former 8chan administrator widely rumored to have been behind the QAnon movement, posted to his own Telegram channel that “The John McAfee telegram account didn’t [sic] announce anything at the end of the countdown.
Ford reported quarterly earnings of 13 cents per share, which beat theRead more >Similar articles >
- Walt Disney Co. DIS 0.41% said it will begin mandating that guests at its domestic theme parks wear masks when indoors, as Covid-19 infection rates surge in Florida and California.
- The reinforcement of masks is just the latest chapter in Disney’s 16-month saga of reopening its theme parks in the wake of Covid-19.
- Wolfe noted that any creatures on these theoretical planets would still need to have the right genetic building blocks to be capable of evolving into crab-like forms.
- Hermit crabs are not alone; over the history of life on Earth, there have been five separate cases in which decapod crustaceans have evolved this way, a process common enough that it has picked up a formal term: carcinization.
- In order to be considered EMV-compliant, a merchant must update their credit card processing hardware and POS systems to support chip technology and meet EMV standards.
- Read our guide to begin taking the appropriate initial steps towards compliance to ensure your business doesn't get fined and you don't miss out on EMV card customer sales.
- The efforts of China's leader Xi Jinping to put power and party above profits or future prosperity is a potentially lethal blow to the nation's status as a cutting-edge economy.
- Shanghai shares are down 1.8% year-to-date as of Wednesday, while China-H shares – that is, mainland Chinese shares that trade on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange – are down 12.3%.
- Shares of Robinhood fell as much as 9% within minutes of the online brokerage's long-awaited trading debut Thursday, pushing the company’s market value below $30 billion as the company's billionaire founders lauded the recent explosion of retail trading that's ushered in massive growth for the firm—and a slew of regulator scrutiny.
- Marked by stock-market highs, a surge in retail trading and unprecedented market volatility, Robinhood's past year has ushered in record growth and a rise in regulator scrutiny for the buzzy brokerage favored by at-home investors.
- Like many large organizations, the leaders at Cisco spent much of the past year working to ensure their employees had an inclusive and flexible workplace while everyone worked from home during the pandemic.
- In a conversation with Protocol, Katsoudas shared how she is thinking about the expanded role and the future of hybrid work at Cisco.
- If you want your bot to respond in any way to the presence of users or use the member list, you’ll need to enable these:
- If you want to change them, you’ll need to go a different way, clicking Roles instead of Integrations and then clicking on your bot, and go to the Permissions tab on the next screen.
- And while live broadcasts and on-demand coverage of most other games and events are available for free on Peacock, finding out what’s on and where to watch it has been a chore, comparable to flicking through a cable TV guide.
- NBC holds broadcasting rights to the Games in the US, so it naturally seized on the opportunity to boost subscribers to its streaming service, Peacock, by making it “the place to flock for the Games’ top moments.”
- The National Science Foundation (NSF) announced today that it was funding 11 new National Artificial Intelligence Research Institutes.
- This institute, led by the University of Washington will provide research and education in AI and machine learning theory, algorithms and applications to achieve safe, real-time learning and control of complex dynamic systems.
- We will be prepared,” Albertsons Chief Executive Officer Vivek Sankaran said in an interview, noting that the seven-day average of daily new cases is similar to that of a year ago.
- Supermarket chain Albertsons ACI 6.37% Cos. is preparing for a potential return of Covid-19 restrictions and lockdowns as the Delta variant pushes up the number of cases across the country.
- Peacock, which is the home to NBC shows and Universal films in the US, will roll out later this year to almost 20 million Sky and NOW customers in the UK at no additional cost.
- Comcast, which owns Sky, Sky News' parent company, launched Peacock last year in the US, and has since amassed 54 million followers.
- The latest beta release of macOS 12 Monterey has made the Live Text feature available to Macs running on Intel hardware, as well as Apple’s own M1 chip.
- It’s similar to Google Lens, and now that it’s going to be available in the Intel version of macOS 12 Monterey, due out in the end of 2021, it gives even more users an opportunity to copy and paste text from an image with ease.
- It’s not Amazon’s fault though, but is due to carriers switching over solely to newer 4G and 5G networks, leaving behind the 2G and 3G connections used by the old Kindle e-readers.
- Amazon has warned a big change is coming to some of its oldest cellular-enabled Kindle e-readers.
- Around 80% of Google’s record-breaking success in the second quarter is mainly rooted in the whopping advertising revenue of $50.4 billion, which represents a 70% increase from last year, as informed by CNBC .
- Likewise, the company strongly boosted its cloud computing services, Google Cloud, which closed the second quarter with a revenue of $4.6 billion, reporting a 54% increase.
- However, the reality is far from the ideal: Security tools have been bolted onto the existing DevOps process along with new layers of automation, and everyone’s calling it “DevSecOps.”
- A better approach is to provide developers with the information and training they need to prevent potential risks from becoming vulnerabilities in the first place.
- Robinhood, whose stock trading app has surged in popularity among retail investors, sold shares in its IPO at $38 a piece on Wednesday evening, valuing the company at about $32 billion.
- Founded in 2013, the free-trading pioneer forced the brokerage industry to drop commissions on retail trading, lowering the barrier for millions of new investors to access the stock market.
- Huawei has always captured hearts with its impressive camera systems, and the P50 Pro is no exception, plus there’s no chance you’ll mistake the phone for any other due to its distinctive design.
- Huawei’s cameras on P-Series phones have impressed for some time, and we’ve no doubt the P50 Pro will continue the tradition, but it’s impossible to get an idea of exactly how much Huawei magic has been worked into these cameras without trying them out.
- Trevor Milton, the founder and former executive chairman of electric vehicle company Nikola, has been charged with two counts of securities fraud and one count of wire fraud by a federal grand jury.
- Milton falsely claimed the company had “billions and billions and billions and billions” of dollars worth of preorder reservations and that the company was producing its own hydrogen at four times less than market rates, according to the indictment.
- Looking to improve user experience and Search Engine Optimization ( SEO ), Fasthosts claims its service is around four seconds faster than the average desktop page load time.
- Fasthosts has launched what it says is one of the fastest WordPress hosting platforms around for UK users, promising website page loading in just 0.3 seconds.
Facebook Inc (NASDAQ: FB) reported a second-quarter earnings beat, a week after Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR) also beat expectations. Both stocks sold off following their results, although Twitter gapped up before losing all of its gains over the following two trading sessions before rebounding.
Traders and investors were likely concerned about both company’s continued future growth. Facebook warned its revenue may decelerate over the second half of 2021 while Twitter’s monthly daily active users have already begun to decline.
Despite concern over the companies’ revenues going forward a number of analysts increased their price targets for both the social media giants. If Facebook’s sell-off, like Twitter’s, is followed with investors buying the dip,both stocks could be headed for new highs.
The Facebook Chart: On Thursday Facebook’s stock gapped down over 3%, negating the bull flag break the stock had set up going into its earnings print. The stock briefly lost support at the $348 level, but bulls came in and bought the stock and drove it back upRead more >Similar articles >
- WASHINGTON—A new bill backed by a slate of Senate Democrats would allocate competitive grants to colleges and universities to analyze, digitize and map historic housing discrimination records, creating the first national database of its kind.
- Sen. Tina Smith (D., Minn.), who wrote the bill, is working to get Democratic colleagues and at least some Republicans to back the effort after introducing the Mapping Housing Discrimination Act on Thursday afternoon.
- The company has also said it will reserve 20 to 35 percent of its IPO shares for Robinhood users, who have opened some 22 million accounts through the platform.
- It’s also been the subject of significant scrutiny, including concerns that it makes trading feel too much like a game, nudges people toward too much risk, and uses a business model — payment for order flow — that hides the actual cost of trading.
- “The new shows will be produced using a wide variety of content from the NBA archives to tell the backstories of some of the greatest moments in sports history, along with a mix of the latest league news, player commentary, insider analysis, and much more,” according to a press release .
- The NBA and iHeartMedia, which owns iHeartRadio, will be launching more than 20 new co-produced podcasts as part of a multiyear partnership, the two companies announced.
Hawkeye, the next live-action Marvel Cinematic Universe series, will debut on Disney+ on November 24th, with new episodes to follow every Wednesday thereafter. Disney shared the news in an interview Entertainment Weekly published with series star Jeremy Renner. The article also includes a first-look screencap (below) showing Renner opposite co-star Hailee Steinfeld, who plays Hawkeye’s protégé Kate Bishop in the series.
With Hawkeye, Disney looks to continue the recent success it’s had with Marvel content. In June, Loki had Disney+’s most-watched premiere, beating out an already impressive debut showing fromThe Falcon and the Winter Soldierearlier in the year. At the start of July, Black Widow brought in more than $60 million in revenue solely from people willing to pay $30 each to watch the film from the comfort of their homes.[…]Read more >Similar articles >
- Now, researchers at the Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory have demonstrated that they can use machine learning to optimize the performance of particle accelerators by teaching the algorithms the basic physics principles behind accelerator operations—no prior data needed.
- Before going to work on a given task, machine learning algorithms typically need to be trained on pre-existing data so they can learn to make fast and accurate predictions about future scenarios on their own.
Yum Brands Inc (NYSE: YUM) is trading higher after the company announced better-than-expected financial results.
Yum Brands reported second-quarter earnings of $1.16 per share, which beat the estimate of 95 cents per share. The company reported quarterly revenue of $1.6 billion, which beat theRead more >Similar articles >
- According to the Trefis Machine Learning Engine, which identifies trends in the company’s stock price using ten years of historical data, returns for VRSN stock average 4.5% in the next one-month (twenty-one trading days) period after experiencing a 4.5% drop over the previous week (five trading days).
- You can test the answer and many other combinations on the Trefis Machine Learning Engine to test Verisign stock chances of a rise after a fall .
Last-mile delivery and electric vehicle company Workhorse Group Inc (NASDAQ: WKHS) announced its newchief executive officer Thursday.
What Happened: Richard F. Dauch was named the new CEO of Workhorse, beginning Aug.2, 2021. Dauch will also join the Board of Directors.
Dauch follows Duane Hughes in the role, who served as CEO from February 2019 to August 2021 after serving as COO from August 2016 to January 2019. Hughes will serve as a consultant during the transitional period.
Related Link: OshKosh Nabs USPS NextRead more >Similar articles >
- We solve this need by delivering technology and the services that quickly increase their security and also answer many questions cyber insurance companies ask in relation to what security controls are in place.”
- “This all adds to the need for solid security solutions and services that can keep organizations protected regardless of the different types of networks and working locations that are developed due to the pandemic.”
- 'Deep reinforcement learning is a powerful method in AI that opens up skills like running, skipping and walking up and down stairs,' said Yesh Godse, an undergraduate in the Dynamic Robotics Laboratory at Oregon State University.
- Built by Oregon State University and Agility Robotics, the robot tackled the distance totally untethered – and on a single battery charge – completing the race in 53 minutes, which is about the same speed as a gentle stroll for humans.
- From humanoid service robots, and voice assistants like Siri, to the artificial intelligence powering self-driving cars, we increasingly imagine this technology in human terms.
- In addition to flexing our empathy muscles, Grimm also says that anthropomorphizing technology and A.I. is also a shortcut for helping us understand it better by applying a model that we do understand — humans — to an unknown.
- begins with fifteen-year-old Copper, who has recently suffered the loss of his father, gazing out over his hometown of Tokyo, watching the thousands of people below, and beginning to ponder life’s big questions.
- The book moves between Copper’s story and his dear uncle’s journal entries, in which he gives advice and helps Copper learn pivotal truths about the way the world works.
- That confirmation from a Blizzard spokesperson comes from a scathing Kotaku report that includes pictures of and stories about the so-called "Cosby suite," a hotel room at Blizzcon 2013 that was reportedly used as an alcohol-filled party space for Blizzard employees and fans.
- At the time of the report, we had already conducted a separate investigation of Alex Afrasiabi and terminated him for his misconduct in his treatment of other employees."
- Still, this sales spike is very much larger-than-life right now, and with a good deal of folks likely to continue working from home in the future, or shifting to a model of hybrid working (remaining remote working to some extent), this demand is not likely to go away.
- Indeed, in the most recent figures we’ve reported on from IDC, the analyst firm found that in Q2 of 2021, “elevated demand for PCs combined with shortages that greatly impacted the supply of notebooks led to desktop growth outpacing that of notebooks during the quarter”.
- If you have an older Amazon Kindle with 3G internet, take note that you may not be able to wirelessly access and download new content anymore starting in December.
- It noted that the first- and second-generation Kindles, as well as the Kindle DX, won’t be able to connect to the internet at all since they don’t have WiFi connectivity to fall back on.
- Prior to the company's AlphaFold project, which uses artificial intelligence to predict protein shapes, only 17% of the proteins in the human body had their structures identified, according to Technology Review .
- So far, AlphaFold has predicted 36% of human proteins with atomic-level accuracy, and has predicted more than half with accuracy good enough to spark research on the proteins' functions, according to the company.
- The anti-slavery charity Hope of Justice says the audit and enforcement approach to clamping down on workforce exploitation is not working "because factory bosses are getting really creative and innovative" in how they hide it.
- "We know from speaking to people here who are reliant upon the food bank, who aren't being paid a fair wage, that there are methods in place where they have to pay that money back to the employer, where they've been given multiple workers cards so that not all their hours appear on their payslips," he said.
- Langer, a co-founder of Moderna along with more than 40 other public companies and one of 12 Institute Professors at MIT, spoke to The Jerusalem Post after deciding to join Immunai’s Board of Directors.
- The Israeli company said that Nebion’s technology platform and database would help extend Immunai’s target discovery and drug development capabilities.
- As well as posing a threat to our jobs, other experts believe AI could 'go rogue' and become too complex for scientists to understand.
- This means driverless cars or intelligent robots could make unpredictable 'out of character' decisions during critical moments, which could put people in danger.
- There’s huge opportunity for the right AI/software company to come along and help make the bulky systems intended for things like auto manufacturing easier to program and more versatile.
- Yes. I see a very strong synergy between being at the forefront of academic AI research at Berkeley and being at the forefront of industrial R&D bringing AI Robotics into the real world as chief scientist at Covariant.
- The defence ministry said in a tweet that the visit conducted by several state bodies was related to disclosures stemming from the Pegasus project – a consortium of 17 media outlets, including the Guardian, which revealed last week that government clients around the world have used the hacking software sold by NSO to target human rights activists, journalists and lawyers.
- Israeli authorities have inspected the offices of the surveillance outfit NSO Group in response to the Pegasus project investigation into abuses of the company’s spyware by several government clients.
What To Know: Annovis, a clinical-stage neurodegenerative diseases-focused biopharma, presented at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference new clinical and biomarker data from two Phase 2 studies of its lead compound ANVS401 in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.
Annovis went public in early 2020, offering 2 million shares in an initial public offering, priced at $6 per share. The stock was mostly rangebound around its IPO price in 2020. Its lead candidate is ANVS401, and it's also developing ANVS405, whichRead more >Similar articles >
- The reveal was accompanied by a first-look image, which teases a meeting between Renner's Clint Barton and Hailee Steinfeld's Kate Bishop who, in the comics, adopts the Hawkeye mantle after Barton retires from the superhero life.
- In the comics, Kate Bishop exists in the same universe as Clint Barton and adopts the Hawkeye mantle when he supposedly dies.
- Yum Brands — Shares of Yum Brands added roughly 5% after the company's second-quarter earnings report beat Wall Street expectations .
- PayPal — PayPal shares are down more than 5%, despite beating analysts' estimates by 3 cents, at $1.15 per share, in its second-quarter earnings report Wednesday evening.
- As benchmark prices remained low from depressed demand, the company shifted its long-term focus from conventional oil & gas to new energy.
- Notably, the company projects its operating cash flow to increase from $30 billion in 2021 to around $35 billion in 2025, assisted by new upstream investments and recovering benchmark prices.
- S&P Global Inc(NYSE: SPGI)reported second-quarterFY21 revenue growth of 8% year-on-year to $2.1 billion, beating the analyst consensus of $1.99 billion.
- Revenues from Ratings' increased 7% Y/Y to $1.1 billion, S&P Dow Jones Indices rose 16% Y/Y to $278 million, Market Intelligence climbed 8% Y/Y to $555 million, and Platts grew 9% Y/Y to $236 million.
- Adjusted operating profit margin decreased 40 basis points to
Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) shares are trading higher after DZ Bank upgraded the stock from Sell to Buy and announced a $750 price target.
The company's battery supplier, Contemporary Amperex Technology, also announced the sodium-ion battery anda battery pack solutionat its first online launch event. The new sodium-ion batteries are a cheaper alternativeRead more >Similar articles >
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD) is trading higher Thursday oncontinued strength following the company's better-than-expected second-quarterfinancialresults. The stock also broke the $100 resistance level and continued upward.
AMD reported quarterly earnings of 63 cents per share on Tuesday, which beat the estimate of 54 cents per share.Read more >Similar articles >
- Today, Speck is launching its first collection of AirTags cases with a variety of new offerings designed to help attach Apple’s item finders to keys, luggage, and more.
- Entering as the brand’s first offerings for Apple’s new item finders, there are four different AirTags cases on the way from Speck.
- The NFL Network will be included in Hulu’s live TV package beginning today at no extra cost, while NFL RedZone will now be offered as part of a new sports add-on.
- Hulu’s new sports add-on package can expand those channels with NFL RedZone in addition to MAVTV Motorsports Network, Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, TVG, and TVG2.
Shares of both Lordstown Motors Corp. (NASDAQ: RIDE) and NIO Inc. (NYSE: NIO) may be in trouble. Each appears to be breaking important support. This could set the stage for rapid and large moves lower.
Support is a large group of buyers lookingRead more >Similar articles >
- "Combining machine learning and remote sensing has the potential to help us monitor ecological change, plan future infrastructure developments, and respond to natural disasters in real-time," Esther Rolf, a co-author on the paper, told Lifewire in an email interview.
- "To plan infrastructure like roads and bridges or to target food aid, we need to know where people live and what their needs are," Jonathan Proctor, a co-author of the paper, told Lifewire in an email interview.
- AZ's sales of the COVID-19 vaccine during the first six months of the year came in at $1.169bn - yes, a huge sum, but pretty small when set against the $14.371bn that the company made from sales of other treatments and medicines during the period.
- That is quite a contrast from AZ's US rival Pfizer, which is seeking to make a profit from its COVID-19 vaccine and which yesterday forecast that sales for its shot would this year to reach about $33.5bn, up 30% on its previous forecast three months ago.
- But forecasters expect it to grow by 7% this year, powered by trillions of dollars of government stimulus spending as well as continued low interest rates and a huge programme of bond purchasing from the US Federal Reserve.
- The US economy has recovered to surpass its pre-pandemic peak according to official figures - though growth was slower than expected in the latest quarter.
- Some concepts and algorithms are quite easy to understand if one can visualize them as vectors and matrices, rather than looking at the data as lists and arrays of numbers.
- Having a proper understanding of the mathematics behind the ML algorithms will help you choose all the proper algorithms for your project in data science and machine learning.
- If you’re an early-stage founder, you’d be wise to make TechCrunch Disrupt 2021 (September 21-23) your must-attend virtual destination.
- “My top three benefits of going to Disrupt were introducing my product to people who would not have seen it otherwise; networking with investors, mentors, advisors and potential customers and, finally, talking to other entrepreneurs and founders and learning what it took to get their companies off the ground.”
- You can actually disable your security system with the right key code and connect it to your smart lights so they automatically turn on when you enter the code.
- If the worst happens and someone does attempt to burglarize your home, your security system will let you save relevant video clips that you can later upload to a cloud storage service like iCloud or Google Drive.
- The downside is the performance overhead in doing this, but the obvious upside is that no work has to be done on a native conversion, and lots of games (not all, note – there are still potential issues with some titles, and in particular games with anti-cheat software) can be enjoyed via Proton just as-is using the Windows version.
- Feral is well-known for porting big-name games across to Linux, but with Troy it’s only doing a Mac version to follow the release of the strategy game on Steam (following its exclusivity period with Epic expiring).
- The job posting is for a position on the Hardware team and the person would be responsible for leading the work on a Class II medical device and the associated regulatory hurdles.
- The new job posting at Apple is for a “Regulatory Project Manager” on the “Hardware” team, working on Health and Wellness products for iPhone and Apple Watch.
- The company rolled out support for videoconferencing between the Fire TV Cube and Alexa smart displays late last year, but Zoom opens up even more possibilities for hosting virtual chats or work calls on the biggest screen in your home.
- Amazon has announced that its second-gen Fire TV Cube is now able to participate in two-way Zoom video calls.
- Release date: The Handmaid's Tale season 5 doesn't have a release window yet – in fact, it doesn't sound like they're close to filming right now.
- One character that we won’t see return is Fred Waterford, played by Joseph Fiennes, since at the end of season 4 he got particicuted by June and many of her fellow fugitive handmaids in punishment for his crimes.
- There were 43% fewer downloads of the NHS Covid-19 app in the week ending 30 June compared with the week ending 14 June, NHS data shows, while a record 689,313 people in England and Wales were contacted by the app and asked to self-isolate in the week to 12 July.
- T he number of downloads of the NHS Covid-19 app has shrunk dramatically amid a “pingdemic” that is causing shortages of goods and workers, after former health secretary Jeremy Hunt warned last week that the government “risks losing social consent” for its test-and-trace programme if it does not allow fully vaccinated people to avoid isolation.
Palisade Bio-Newsoara Serine Protease Inhibitor Accelerates Return Of Bowel Function After GI Surgery
Palisade Bio Inc(NASDAQ: PALI) and co-development partnerNewsoarahaveannounced positive Phase 2 data LB1148showing a statistically significant effect in accelerating the return of bowel function in patients undergoing elective bowel resection surgery.
- The 120-subject study showed a 1.1-day improvement in GI recovery in patients receiving LB1148 vs. placebo.
- The median time to return of bowel function
- While the boom in the real-estate market in Bozeman predated the Covid-19 crisis, the pandemic sent it into overdrive, as out-of-staters flooded into the area, said local agents.
- There were 33 sales of Bozeman homes priced at $1 million or more between January and April, more than four times as many as during the year-earlier period, according to data from Realtor.com.
Atreca Inc(NASDAQ: BCEL) stock is hovering at a 52-week low after itannounced initial datafrom the dose-escalation portion of its ongoing Phase 1b trial evaluating ATRC-101 in select solid tumor types.
- Twenty-six participants were dosed. Eight of the 20 participants (40%) evaluable experienced
If you’ve ever visited Twitter and seen a product you liked, chances are you had to click on a link to go to a different website to make the purchase.
Twitter would like to change that and is testing a new feature which could allow brands to sell directly on the social media platform.
“We’re starting small with a handful of brands in the United States,” Twitter Product Lead Bruce FalckRead more >Similar articles >
- According to the Trefis Machine Learning Engine, which identifies trends in a company’s stock price data for the last ten years, returns for BUD stock average close to 3% in the next three-month (63 trading days) period after experiencing a 7% drop over the previous one-month (21 trading days) period.
- You can test the answer and many other combinations on the Trefis Machine Learning to test BUD stock chances of a rise after a fall and vice versa .
- To take advantage of the new feature, you’ll need Amazon’s Fire TV Cube, its hands-free streaming device and smart speaker that has Alexa built in, as well as a webcam that supports USB Video Class (UVC) with at least 720p resolution and 30fps.
- Late last year, Amazon launched support for two-way calling that worked with its Fire TV Cube devices.
- Scientists are growing more confident that air pollution —especially from particulate matter less than 2.5 microns wide, known as PM 2.5—significantly raises the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, according to a series of separate studies published in July.
- “It’s already well documented that exposure to PM 2.5 is associated with cardiovascular and other diseases, but within the last few years the number of publications is rising on an increased risk for brain tissue,” said Yuliya Krauchanka, a professor of surgery at the Duke University School of Medicine and co-author of the North Carolina study.
- The web game publishing business has changed a lot, and so Kongregate is changing with the times, said Markus Lipp, CEO and chief financial officer at Kongregate, in an interview with GamesBeat.
- Kongregate, a 15-year-old free-to-play game platform now owned by MTG, has unveiled Kongregate.io, a new web gaming portal featuring games that use non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
- (It’s just slightly lighter than the Spin 713.) That makes it a bit heavy to hold as a tablet for long periods of time, and you’ll want something smaller if you’re looking for a device you won’t notice in your backpack.
- The Flex 5 has a much nicer chassis than many other Chromebooks you’ll see in this price range — it’s actually one of the better-built Chromebooks I’ve used this year.
- Google Cloud is also growing faster than it was a year ago, recording a 54% jump in revenue to $4.6 billion after posting 43% growth during the second quarter of 2020.
- Microsoft invested $7.3 billion in capital expenditures during the quarter, up from $5.8 billion a year ago, and CEO Satya Nadella noted that the company opened data-center regions in 15 new countries last year.
- Unable to fine tune their decryptor, the threat actors behind the Babuk ransomware have changed their business model, and are no longer encrypting their victim’s data, according to cybersecurity researchers.
- “Ultimately, the difficulties faced by the Babuk developers in creating ESXi ransomware may have led to a change in business model, from encryption to data theft and extortion,” reason the researchers in a blog post .
- Good morning, and welcome to Protocol Next Up. This week: Redbox is going public this year and Facebook's has expensive plans for the metaverse.
- DVD kiosk rental company Redbox is scheduled to go public via a SPAC reverse merger later this year, and I caught up with Redbox CEO Galen Smith recently to learn how he wants to spend all the money the deal is expected to bring in.
- BT Group (LON:BT.A)’s first quarter underlying revenue fell 3% to £5.1bn, reflecting declines in the Corporate and Public Sector segments in the Enterprise and Global divisions.
- All major segments delivered cash profit (EBITDA) growth except for Global, where management attributed declines to project delays and lower equipment sales, as well as divestments and currency movements.
Ford posted second-quarterrevenue of $26.8 billion, which beat the estimate of $23.84 billion.
Ford stock was up 3.28% at $14.32 at last check Thursday.
Ford Daily Chart Analysis
- Ford shares just broke out of an ascending triangle pattern and are now looking to test old resistance to see if they canfind support.
- The stock crossed above the 50-day moving average (green), and trades above the
Washington state universities will lead AI research institutes funded by National Science Foundation
- UW’s research lab, the AI Institute for Dynamic Systems, will focus on fundamental AI and machine learning theory.
- Steve Brunton, a UW associate professor of mechanical engineering, said the institute will study whether machine learning can be developed while adding both known and unknown laws of physics.
- The aircraft — which to be clear is still in small scale prototype form — uses a new VTOL technique that redirects the flow of air from its engines using flaps rather than turning them (like the well-known, infamously unstable Osprey), making for a much more robust and controllable experience.
- Co-founder James Dorris believes that this fast, stable VTOL craft is the key that unlocks a new kind of local air travel, eschewing major airports for minor ones or even heliports.
- Apple today announced GarageBand for iOS and iPadOS, the most popular music creation app in the world, now helps people unlock even more of their musical creativity with all-new Sound Packs from some of today’s top artists and producers.
- In a press release today, Apple announced that it is expanding GarageBand for iPhone and iPad with new “Sound Packs” from some of the world’s top artists and producers.
- During the company’s latest earnings call, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said its next product release would be a pair of smart glasses from Ray-Ban.
- “So I’m excited to get those into people’s hands and to continue to make progress on the journey toward full augmented reality glasses in the future.”
Facebook, Inc. (NASDAQ: FB) is trading lower Thursday after the company announced better-than-expectedfinancial results, butwarned of slowing growth in the second half of the year.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg highlighted that although thebusiness is expected to moderate,it remains healthy,NeubergerBerman analystDaniel Flax said Thursday on CNBC's "Squawk Box."
Facebook reported second-quarter earnings of $3.61 per share, which beat the estimate of $3.02 per share. The company reported quarterly revenue of $29.077 billion, which beat the estimate of $27.82 billion.
"The results were strong," Flax told CNBC.Read more >Similar articles >
- But Arc — which is coming out of stealth mode today, boasts a handful of SpaceX expats, and is backed by Silicon Valley powerhouse firm Andreessen Horowitz — plans to work its way down from that price point once it’s producing and selling boats, just like Tesla once did for electric passenger cars with the Roadster, followed by the Model S and X, and then the Model 3 and Y.
- “Boats are actually really good at floating — that sounds silly but like it’s not hard to make a boat that could carry a huge load,” Lee says.
- La Haus, which has developed an online real estate marketplace operating in Mexico and Colombia, has secured $100 million in additional funding, including $50 million in equity and $50 million in debt financing.
- What La Haus is planning to do with its new capital – particularly the debt portion – is go beyond selling homes via its marketplace to helping extend financing to both developers and potential buyers.It plans to take the proprietary data it has been able to glean from the thousands of real estate transactions conducted on it platform to extend capital to developers and consumers “more quickly, with much lower risk and at better terms.”
- Some extra saccharine news to report this morning: Netflix has renewed Sweet Tooth for a second season of apocalyptic adventures.
- Schwartz spoke to io9 about the show in June saying, “The thing for me originally was the question [of] if you could make an apocalyptic story that took you to a place that you wanted to go, or actually gave you a little bit of a sense of hope or optimism, which felt like a rarity and felt like a real opportunity with a character like Gus.”
- The Artificial Inventor Project argues that this removes an unfair disincentive for AI-powered invention – but critics worry that, should other jurisdictions follow suit, it could open the door to a new wave of intellectual property abuse.
- A project that aims to reform patent law so that it recognises AI systems as inventors scored a victory this week, after South Africa approved the first ever patent for AI-created inventions.
- Users join for free and can enter their personal estimates of the probabilities that certain events will happen, with Scry calculating the average probability.
- I am reminded of Long-Term Capital Management, a hedge fund launched in 1994 by Solomon Brothers superstar John Meriwether.
Space start-up Varda, founded by SpaceX and Founders Fund veterans, aims to build factories in orbit
- Varda Space Industries, a start-up founded less than a year ago by a pair with experience at Elon Musk's SpaceX and Peter Thiel's Founders Fund, has now raised more than $50 million as it works toward its first mission in the first quarter of 2023.
- "The Varda mission is to build the first space factory – essentially the first industrial park on orbit," CEO Will Bruey, who spent much of the past decade working on SpaceX's Cargo Dragon spacecraft, told CNBC.
- “We’re going to be working on new VR titles and they’re going to have a live game element to them,” White said in an interview with GamesBeat.
- The new studio will be fully remote and nDreams is actively recruiting for several key roles for that can be viewed on the nDreams website, said White, in an interview with GamesBeat.
- The phones have lots of specs in common, but the Motorola Edge 20 Lite sounds like the real winner, with a super-low price but lots of the top-tier specs of its siblings.
- We were expecting the Motorola Edge 20 series to launch at some point, but it still came as quite a surprise when the popular phone company launched its new flagship handset line without any pomp or circumstance, instead dropping it rather out of the blue.
- Striped hyena are very avid accumulators of bones,” said Mathew Stewart, a zooarchaeologist at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Human History, in a video call.
- (A previous team said they heard growling in the lava tubes, a bone-chilling indication that the threatened hyena population in Saudi Arabia might still have a happy home in remote reaches of the country.) The main goal of the team behind this latest paper was to figure out how the huge number of bones—hundreds of thousands of them, representing at least 40 different species and dating from about 7,000 years ago to the Victorian era—ended up collecting in the lava tube’s rear.
- Users that can download the latest beta update for their PS5 will be able to add their own M.2 SSD to the console, expanding its storage capacity by up to 4TB.
- Unlike other drives, an M.2 SSD that fits Sony’s specifications can launch and run not just PS4 games, but also PS5 games, something that HDDs and USB SSDs can’t do.
- There's no on-board GPS (instead the Incus Nova syncs via your phone), and the position of the device at the top of your spine means there's no heart rate monitoring, so you'll likely want to use either a running watch or a chest strap heart rate monitor as well.
- You're not just given raw numbers to interpret either; the Incus smartphone app processes the data, presents it in a way that helps you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your running form, and gives you guidance so you can take steps to improve it and reduce your risk of injury.
- Meanwhile, you can try out Doppler for iPhone for free as well and it runs $7 as a one-time purchase.
- Doppler for macOS also makes it easy to transfer music and playlists between iPhone and Mac over WiFi or USB and also includes features like one-click artwork search, simple multi-disc merging, easy metadata editing, a full playback queue, and much more.
Robinhood Markets Inc (NASDAQ: HOOD) isset to begin trading publicly on the Nasdaq Thursday.
Robinhood's mission is to democratize finance for all, Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev said Thursday on CNBC's "Squawk On The Street."
Starting from nothing, Tenev was able to create a company that now serves more than 22 million customers, Tenev told CNBC.
Robinhood's stock will have "one of the largest retail allocations ever," he said:"we are veryRead more >Similar articles >
- When it became legal on July 1 to make endorsement deals with college athletes, Mr. Wright swooped in to make Arkansas’s gigantic offensive linemen, plus two of its quarterbacks, spokesmen for his restaurant.
- “The food deals are probably where it’s at right now for us fat guys,” said Dalton Wagner, a 325-pound redshirt senior offensive tackle at Arkansas.
- The new stack — DIGITALL — is built on four key components: digital humans, machine learning, robotic process automation (RPA) and quantum computing.
- As advancements like digital humans, machine learning, robotic process automation and quantum computing fuse, captains of business will soon have the technological wherewithal to reach greater heights and fend off exogenous events says Ben Pring, chief futurist within Cognizant’s Center for the Future of Work.
- The entry-level version of the Edge 20 series is the Moto Edge 20 Lite, an 8.25mm thick phone with a plastic rear panel, and 2.5D glass over the 6.7-inch OLED screen, which also has a 90Hz refresh rate for smooth scrolling.
- Motorola has announced three new smartphones, the Moto Edge 20 Lite, Moto Edge 20, and Moto Edge 20 Pro. Following on from last year’s Moto Edge and Moto Edge Plus models, all three feature large 6.7-inch OLED screens with HDR10+ support, plus 108-megapixel cameras, and 5G connectivity too.
PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL) is trading lower Thursday morning after the company announced second-quarter financial results and issued guidance below estimates.
PayPal reported quarterly earnings of $1.15 per share, which beat the estimate of $1.13 per share. The company reported quarterly revenue ofRead more >Similar articles >
- Robinhood CEO and co-founder Vlad Tenev on Thursday defended retail clients that invest in so-called meme stocks, saying the phenomenon is real and gives embattled companies access to capital they otherwise wouldn't have.
- "I think what's interesting with what we've seen in retail investing over the past year is that a lot of these companies have been hit hard by the pandemic," Tenev said.
- Chip-manufacturing subsidies are the most prominent of a range of interventions Western governments are rushing out to promote industries they deem strategic, from electric-car batteries to pharmaceuticals.
- “We conveyed to TSMC the importance of securing the semiconductor supply chain, and that the U.S. government as well as their U.S. customers wanted them manufacturing here,” said Keith Krach, who led the negotiations as a State Department undersecretary at the time.
- Carrier Global Corp(NYSE: CARR)reported second-quartersales growth of 37% year-over-year to $5.44 billion and 31% on an organic basis, beating the consensus estimate of million.
- Sales by segments: HVAC $3.12 billion (+36.2% Y/Y), Refrigeration $1.02 billion (+45.9% Y/Y), and Fire & Security $1.4 billion (+32.7% Y/Y)/
- Adjusted EPS improved to $0.64 from $0.33 in 2Q20, beating consensus estimates of $0.54.
- The operating profit increased by 77.2% Y/Y to $783 million,
Qualcomm Inc (NASDAQ: QCOM) is trading higher Thursday morning after the company announced better-than-expected financial results and issuedguidance above estimates.
Qualcomm reported quarterly earnings of $1.92 per share, which beat the estimate of $1.67 per share. The company reported quarterly revenue of $8 billion, which beat the estimate of $7.55 billion.
Qualcomm saidRead more >Similar articles >
- “We are in constant fear of being caught by the police and deported,” says Gharibullah, who worked as a teacher in a district of Afghanistan recently captured by Taliban fighters.
- Unlike the 3.6m Syrian refugees in Turkey, only a minority of Afghans are safe from deportation and offered some access to public services.
Nikola Corp (NASDAQ: NKLA) is trading lower Thursday morning after company founder Trevor Milton was indicted on three counts of fraud.
Milton was indictedfor allegedly lying about “nearly all aspects of the business.”
Nikola went public via special purpose acquisition companyRead more >Similar articles >
- The Witcher: Monster Slayer follows similar games tied to popular franchises like Minecraft, Harry Potter and Jurassic Park, in trying to take on Niantic's hugely successful Pokémon Go. That game was well publicized for hitting 10 million downloads in seven days, which is ten times The Witcher's stats.
- On July 21, The Witcher: Monster Slayer launched as another mobile game to take on the huge Pokémon Go in the traveling-ARG genre.
- Citigroup told employees late Wednesday in a memo that they will now be required to wear masks in U.S. corporate offices, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.
- Back in May, the CDC said that fully vaccinated adults didn't need to wear masks or socially distance indoors, and Citibank had been following that protocol for corporate offices, although masks have been required at branch locations, the person said.